Military Academy Nominations - FAQ
Frequently asked questions for those seeking a Military Academy nomination. You may also fill out a Military Academy Nominations Form.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- The Vice-President of the United States
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday (25 for USMMA)
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 6th Congressional District of COLORADO.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
Who do I contact to request an application?
Contact my office at (720) 748-7514 to request a nomination packet.
When do I apply for a nomination?
My nomination application period opens May 15th of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
The deadline for submitting a nomination packet to my District Office is normally mid-October. Please contact my office at (720) 748-7514 for more details.
What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- A completed application
- A formal letter to Representative Coffman (no more than one page) describing your desire to attend a U.S. Service Academy and serve in the U.S. military.
- High school transcript (sent directly to my office from your high school)
- ACT and/or SAT test results (sent directly to my office from the testing organization)
ACT Institution Code: 7305, SAT Institution Code: 4715
- A minimum of three recommendation forms. Letters are optional. The forms should be sent directly to my office from the recommender.
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in late October or early November.
What criteria is used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
- U.S. Air Force Academy
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- U.S. Military Academy
- U.S. Naval Academy
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy (No Congressional nomination required)
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the website of the academy you are interested in to learn about their requirements.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
I require three recommendation forms be sent to my office on your behalf. Your recommenders must include one math or science teacher, one school staff member and one non-school/community member. For example:
- Clergy or church leaders
- Scout Leaders
The recommendation form on the last page of the application is required. Letters of recommendation are optional. Recommendation forms are to be sent directly to my office from the recommender.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among that year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Academies will notify candidates of their admission status berween February and May.